On December 18, 1990, the World Taekwondo Federation accepted the World Anti-Doping Code and enacted the WTF Anti-Doping Rules.
The Anti-Doping Rules were adopted and implemented in conformance with WTF's responsibilities under the Code, and are in furtherance of WTF's continuing efforts to eradicate doping in the sport of taekwondo.
Anti-Doping programs seek to preserve what is intrinsically valuable about sport. This intrinsic value is often referred to as the "Spirit of Sport"; it is the essence of Olympism; it is how we play true. The spirit of sport is the celebration of the human spirit, body and mind, and is characterized by the following values:
- Ethics, fair play and honesty
- Excellence in performance
- Character and education
- Fun and joy
- Dedication and commitment
- Respect for rules and laws
- Respect for self and other participants
- Community and solidarity
- Doping is fundamentally contrary to the spirit of sport.